After a lot of thought and cost-benefit analysis, we decided to be somewhat irresponsible (considering our recent unplanned expenses due to the daycare switch, not to mention the upcoming holidays and travel costs) and splurge on a jogging stroller (which is thus now a major part of our birthday and Christmas presents). After polling my friends with jogging strollers and reading reviews, as much as I wanted to get an InStep/Schwinn (which are great strollers AND are reasonably priced), I knew that it wouldn't last long enough for my 75th percentile boy to make it worth the investment. Especially since he has a LONG torso (so his seated height is actually noticeably higher than his peers who are taller than him when standing). So our available options became BOB or Baby Jogger (both rated well for long seat backs). I started searching Craigslist about 2 weeks ago, and couldn't find ANYTHING, let alone a DOUBLE jogging stroller. Then on Thursday afternoon, I hit on a Baby Jogger City Elite. It was listed in excellent condition and the pictures looked great. After some back-and-forth with the seller, we negotiated a price drop of $75 and made plans to check it out in person on Saturday.
And what do you know, the seller happens to be the owner of the Mercedes dealership. And the Porsche dealership. And the Smart Car dealership. We should have asked for a larger price reduction, as she obviously doesn't need the cash! Regardless, the stroller checked out well and we were soon on our way home with our 3rd stroller. After James and Cora fought over the little toy Mercedes in the showroom...

Now, I've never 'test driven' a BOB (or any other jogging stroller, for that matter), so I can't compare them. But based on reviews, they are pretty darn comparable. Baby Jogger is top-rated for seat back height though, and has the biggest/best sun shades on the market. Which is something that will come in handy for James and Cora, especially in this extremely sunny state that we live in. When the sun hits James' eyes, he yells "I need the tunnel!" and flips his shade down all by himself. I must admit, the magnetic closures on the flaps are great. There are 2 viewing windows and an air ventilation flap (thank goodness, otherwise I bet that little cave would get HOT in the Mississippi summer). The other thing I really like is that the seats are infinitely adjustable for recline (meaning, there is no clicking system, just a strap that you can lengthen one measly centimeter at a time, or open completely to give a near-flat recline).

So, when Will came over yesterday afternoon, we went for a 2nd walk around the neighborhood. I can't say for sure, but it seemed like Will approved of the new stroller just as much as James and Cora. Of course, he IS used to being in a jogging stroller.



After a while we caught he and James holding hands. It was SO sweet! Until Will had had enough, and James wouldn't let go. At age 31-months we already had to have the "No means NO!" talk with James...

Then, this morning, I took the new stroller out for it's first run. Now, if you read the specs, this stroller is actually NOT listed as a jogging stroller. But if you read the reviews, everyone uses it as such with no issues whatsoever. It has 12" inflated wheels, and it glides like a dream. I can push this thing with one hand, on any spot on the bar, and it doesn't drift or pull. THAT is something that our double umbrella does that annoys us to NO END. Seriously, you can not lift a hand to drink from your water bottle without the stroller veering left or right. The other thing I love about the style of the Baby Jogger is that each kid has their own personal foot rest. No fighting or kicking each other (the metal bar dividing the seats helps with that too), and no feet dangling off the side or a kid having to twist their body inward to keep both feet on the footrest. Pretty cool!



My only complaint is myself. Being out of shape. I've only been back to running for about 2 weeks now. And it's a whole other ball game to run with your hands on a stroller (as opposed to moving with your stride). I'll get used to it though. Jeesh, my 1.75 mile "run" this morning took me 25 minutes. And I had to walk some here and there. As easy as it is to push the Baby Jogger on flat ground or down a hill, it is 100 lbs (stroller and kiddo weight combined), and I felt every ounce on the minor uphills I did. And I ran "The Flats". Good thing I have a couple of pint sized personal trainers to get me back in shape! EVERY SINGLE TIME that I stopped to walk this morning, James would yell "3, 4, 6, 7 - Go! Run Mommy, run!" and Cora would chime in with a "Go, go!" Apparently they like to feel the wind in their hair. Good thing I plan to take them 2-3 times per week (and run another 2-3 times by myself). Eventually. One has to work up to these things, of course. And I would be quite grateful if you blog readers would help keep me accountable!
No comments:
Post a Comment